In the Middle Ages, both the river and the town were also known by the German name Laibach.
Some years later, the construction of Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity started.
Public electric lighting appeared in the city in 1898.
After they were expelled in 1598, marking the beginning of the Counter-Reformation, Catholic Bishop Thomas Chrön ordered the public burning of eight cartloads of Protestant books.
In 1597, Jesuits arrived in the city, followed in 1606 by the Capuchins, to eradicate Protestantism.
Clockwise from top: Ljubljana Castle in the background and Franciscan Church of the Annunciation in the foreground; Visitation of Mary Church on Rožnik Hill; Kazina Palace at Congress Square; view from Ljubljana Castle towards the north; Ljubljana City Hall; Ljubljanica with the Triple Bridge in distance It has been the cultural, educational, economic, political, and administrative center of independent Slovenia since 1991.