The prospect of a new park inspired developers to erect new homes in the area and, in the year 1926, form the organization, Marine Park Civic Association, although park improvements were slow to follow.
Marine Park, surrounded by the neighborhood it is named after, consists of recreational park areas and the Salt Marsh Nature Center, where myrtle warblers, grasshopper sparrows, cottontail rabbits, ring-necked pheasants, horseshoe crabs, and oyster toadfish can be found.) by 1937.
That same year, the Board of Aldermen named the site "Brooklyn Marine Park".
The building's “green” elements include solar panels, a geothermal heating and cooling system, and a green roof.
Because of these energy-saving features, the Parks Department is seeking LEED Silver certification for the building.
At one point it became a landfill and trash piled up to 60 feet (18 m) in certain areas.